Monday, May 25, 2009

Jewel & Blaire



So...it's Thursday, May 21st. It's Kelly's 22nd birthday, so me and Kel are at Jamba Juice chilling and talking about some stuff. The night grows late, and she goes home. Well, right across the street from Jamba is Claim Jumper where my bff Rory is working, and another old friend of mine Savannah is working. I decide to say hello to them, so I drive over and walk inside.

Before we continue...lets fill in a little back story:
Rory O'Donoghue is my bro4lyf and basically he is dating a girl named Jewel Restaneo. You may have heard of her? Broadway actress & theatrical performer since she was born. She also has done billions of commercials, film work, television, and anything else you can imagine. This girls resume is a mile long. She is currently 17 years old and in a band with her younger sister (also w/ a mile long resume). The band is called Jewel & Blaire. They have been playing local SFV shows for a while now.

...after I walk inside I see Rory and we exchange a smirk. He comes from out of the counter and we begin to chat a little. Until I see Savannah and she greets me with a huge hug followed by in introduction to her boyfriend. We all hung out for a while until Rory got off and left. We walked outside and towards my car when Rory gets an unexpected phonecall from Jewel. Turns out, Jordan Solis, the bassist for Jewel & Blaire "quit" a little earlier, and they had a show in the next hour. Now, I say to myself...what show could you possibly have at midnight? Then I remember that they are playing at Alamany High's Post Prom. I tell Rory to tell Jewel that if she needed a sub, I would be more then happy and I have been doing this for years now so I'm used to improv. Rory hands the phone to me and Jewel says, "how fast can you be at my house?" 25 min later, I pull up to the Restaneo resedence and unload my gear. Jewel, Blaire, McClain (drummer) and I just chat for a bit because Chris & Corey (lead guitar & keys) are a little late. The time reads 11:32, and we go on at 12:00. They pull up and we pack the cars as fast as we can.

Another side story:

MY band, Johnny Strat & Project Wavelength consistes of a 5 people.
John (lead vox & guitar), who is my other bff. Colin (raps & BG vox), who is my other bff, Josh Nelson AKA Chuckles (bass), another bff, and Daniel Williams (drums), who is not a friend of mine at all. Daniel is a hired drummer for the most part, and we just deal with his shit because he's really talented. Then there is me, rhythm guitar and BG vox. For the most part, the group is Johnny, Colin, and I. We are like the holy trinity of musical sex.

SO...on my way to Jewels house, I ask a couple Alamany friends if they were going to post prom. They all said yes, and one of the told me that Colin said "I love you". In a wave of disbelief and excitment, I call Colin and yell into the phone, "YOU'RE GOING TO ALAMANY'S POST PROM!?". He replies, "Yes!" This was a glorious moment, because just 5 min prior, Johnny called me and said, "Hey I know this never happens, but I'm all dressed up and I'm right by your house, do you wanna hang out?" I call him and say, "YOU'RE COMING TO PROM WITH ME AND COLIN AND JEWEL AND BLAIRE!"
It was amazing.

So Johnny pulls up in front of Jewels house, followed by Corey and Chris. Jewels mom, Cris, runs up to me and tells me that I have to sign a contract that states I am playing with JB & that I will not curse on stage. We all load the cars as fast as we can and take off. Since no one knows how to get there, they are following me. Johnny is my passenger with McClain in the backseat. We get to Balboa and I am watching my rear view for the girls, because they drive slow. I didn't see the enormus orange figure in front of me. It came so quickly. BAM. A RANDOM cone is lodged under my car. I hit my emergency lights on and swerve over. The girls follow me. All in an instant, I jump out with John and I totally lift my front end as Johnny reaches under and pulls the cone out with his bare hands! We exchange glances of awkwardness for the cone, throw it in the backseat w/ McClain, and continue to Alamany. We pull in the back gate at 12:00. Thankfully the busses aren't there yet. We park, check in, and set up as soon as everyone arrives. Now...I think to myself, "Oh yeah...you don't know any of these songs." So I ask Corey for the basic key or a relative major / minor of each song. With that, we play the show a little rusty from lack of rehearsal and lack of an original bass player...but it worked :) Johnny, Colin, and I, along with the band, all stayed at Alamany and hung out for a while. We ate free food and talked to old friends. Later in the night, Johnny, Colin, and I went to my car and got my acoustic and started writing. Eventually we were joined by Jewel, Blaire, and the boys, and had a great time. Once the clock struck 4:00 AM...I realized that I had an English final in 4 hours. On that note, we all hugged, exchanged numbers, and went our seperate ways.

Yesterday, there was still no word from Jordan. So I played another show with them (after a rehearsal of couse). This show was the opening for the new Terminator ride at Magic Mountain! We had two 30 min. sets. Afterward, we had left over time so Johnny, Colin, and I played a song as well. (They we're there). After the show, we decided to ride the Terminator ride...until it derailed...
Then we left and went to Denny's.

We had an amazing time at Denny's and then went our seperate ways.

I love my new friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment